Restoring an Image from a Microfilm Copy

I’ve been working on making some of the small changes to my typography project that we discussed in class last week. Most of the spacing fixes and the changes to the lines were super easy to fix but restoring the comic has taken a bit of time. I played with doing different things to it, but the challenge with this particular image was that because it was printed from a microfilm reader (and then scanned) the image’s quality is pretty poor even though the resolution is high.


The last couple weeks we’ve been reading about color and the do’s and don’ts of picking a color scheme. I think the reading in White Space is Not Your Enemy was very helpful and got me thinking about the color scheme for the design project. Something that was extremely useful for me was the explanation of the differences between CMYK, PANTONE, and RGB. Prior to reading this I sort of understood the difference just from experience but the reading really pinpointed what each system is for, when to use it, and how it works.

THATCamp Topic Modeling Results

**This post is the last in a set of 5 written by the Digital History Fellows at the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media. The original post, which was collectively written by the DH Fellows, can be found on our Digital History Fellowship Blog. We have spent the last few weeks working to build a python script that would allow us to download and prep all of the THATCamp blog posts for topic modeling in MALLET (for those catching up, we detailed this process in a series of previous posts).

Typography Assignment

For the typography assignment I decided to make a page using some of the content from my masters thesis. I said last week I wasn’t going to use my thesis for this class, but then I decided that for this assignment it might be kind of fun. I’ll get back to physical culture in the progressive era for the design and final assignments. I pieced together some text from my thesis that introduces a woman named Sylvia Ullback who was a beauty expert to the Hollywood stars in the 1920s.

Unexpected Challenges Result in Important and Informative Discussions: a transparent discussion about stripping content and stopwords

**This post is the fourth in a set of 5 written by the Digital History Fellows at the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media. The original post by Jannelle Legg can be found on the Digital History Fellowship Blog. As described in previous posts, the first year Digital Fellows at CHNM have been working on a project under the Research division that involves collecting, cleaning, and analyzing data from a corpus of THATCamp content.