For the typography assignment I decided to make a page using some of the content from my masters thesis. I said last week I wasn’t going to use my thesis for this class, but then I decided that for this assignment it might be kind of fun. I’ll get back to physical culture in the progressive era for the design and final assignments. I pieced together some text from my thesis that introduces a woman named Sylvia Ullback who was a beauty expert to the Hollywood stars in the 1920s. I thought this content would make for a fun design and a creative use of fonts. For this weeks blog post, I thought I’d explain my thought process and justify some of the decisions I made while designing this page.
Before I began the design, I spent some time thinking about old Hollywood, fan magazines, Sylvia, and the tone and feeling that I wanted the page to display. When thinking of old hollywood black and white immediately comes to mind but I wanted to do something a little more exciting in terms of color.
I also knew I had a image that I had cut out from one of Sylvia’s articles in _ Modern Screen_ magazine. The is a hand drawn comic strip showing a woman entering Sylvia’s shop, being transformed physically and leaving svelte and thin looking like a new woman. This image was black and white though and I wanted to add some color to the page. I decided to use a background that is a teal color with a slight diagonal stripe to it and have elements of a light reddish color on the page. I wanted the color scheme to be fun and reflect the playful tone in much of Sylvia’s writing (really some of the articles are a great laugh).
For the headings at the very top of my page I decided to go with a classic, but readable script like the ones often used in film title cards. I ended up going with the google font ‘Dancing Script’ after much debate. I wanted to use this font for the beginning of the tile ‘As Lovely as the Stars of» and use a different font for «Hollywood».
I had two fonts that I debated between for the word «Hollywood». The first was font was designed to look like the hollywood sign and had a jagged baseline causing the text to look uneven. As you can see from the screenshot on the left, that quickly turned out to be a bad idea. The second was a font that had a dotted inner outline and looked very much like the lights you might see on the outside of a movie theater.
I decided that this font fit the feel I was going for and looked good on the page. I played with using this same font for the subheadings and even for the navigation, but quickly decided that the font really only looked good very large and resorted to using a sans-serif for the headings instead.